Thursday 25 April 2013

Intermittent Fasting


There are many different crash diets and weight loss theories knocking about on the Internet and in magazines now a days, however one that has really intrigued me over the last few weeks has been Intermittent Fasting.

After carrying out some research on this form of diet it has come to my attention that there are a few variations in the way that people undertake the fast.

It seems the most popular method was alternate day fasting, so for example you would be fasting on a Monday probably consuming less than 500 calories and then on the Tuesday you would consume your normal amount of food 'feeding up' for your next day of fasting.
For some people they find that this type of diet is to difficult to manage therefore they will only fast for 2 days a week slowly incorporating more days in as they feel comfortable.

Another method which really caught my eye was the 18-6 split, this is where you are in fasting mode for 18 hours leading up to 6 hours worth of feeding time. To myself personally I feel that this method would be more achievable for most people as the 18 hours fasting will include sleeping hours.
The aim of the fasting period is to prepare your body to take in a large quantity of clean food in a small period of time, obviously if you was to fill up on stodgy foods you would soon have an uncomfortable full feeling leading to you being unable to consume enough food to function.

Researchers claim that Intermittent Fasting can not only help you shed body fat but also aid increasing lean muscle mass.



I am going to try Intermittent Fasting myself over an 8 week period using the following method.
Straight split of 18 hours fast with 6 hours feed time consuming only clean meals ie - meat, veg, rice, sweet potato, fish, fruit

I plan to train after my first meal and consume most of my carbohydrates with my post-workout meal slowly decreasing the amount of carbs as the feeding period goes on.

I will be supplementing with a very low calorie and carb protein supplement once a day during the fasting period and immediately after work-out.

Over the next few weeks I will be looking into the different medical studies regarding Intermittent Fasting and will keep up to date with progress on this blog.


Mark Daniels
Discount Protein Supplements


No comments:

Post a Comment